WELCOME TO PENGUIN BASEMENTS – BRAMPTON
If you live in Brampton and are considering to have your basement finished to provide extra income or additional room for you and your family, contact Penguin Basements. We specialize in designing and building basement rooms to meet your specific needs – whether it’s for personal or rental purposes. What’s more important, we will ensure you have an affordable second suite matched to your situation. Furthermore, our team can offer financing to help out if you need it.
What is a ‘second suite’?
Second suites go by many names:
- Second unit
- In-law suite
- Basement apartment
- Granny flat
Whatever name it goes by, and there are plenty more and they all describe the same thing. The suite is a self-contained private apartment with a separate access door. They are mostly built in your basement, but sometimes they are added to the main building, or even separated within the grounds.
We at Penguin Basements choose the basement renovation option because the granny flat doesn’t take up more space than your home, which is an important factor in a city where space is at a premium. Converting your basement into an apartment also needs water, drainage and electricity, and all these are already on tap in your home. Having said that, every member of our team at Penguin Basements is an expert in basement finishing – that is what we do.
Why do you want a finished basement?
If you intend to finish your basement for your own use, that’s great. But bear this in mind: it’s difficult to find rental housing in Brampton and beyond. So, if you chose a Penguin Basements second suite and eventually decide to rent it out, you would be filling a niche in the market recognized by the provincial government. If you think about it, you aren’t only providing an apartment for someone who needs an affordable home, there are other benefits too:
- A second suite is a cheap way to provide a rental property. All the utilities – water, electricity, gas, drainage – are already on-site in your home.
- You already have the infrastructure of a sturdy and weatherproof building. You have foundations, roof, and access. In fact, you will spend very little capital for such a high regular income.
- You’re providing an income for yourself, so you can spend more time enjoying life.
- Or, if you choose to do so, you can fund further renovations on your property to increase its value.
- It’s a way to pay off your mortgage sooner than you expected.
- A second suite will increase the value of your property if you decide to sell.
- You will receive a 100% offset for rental income from a legal second suite if you live there too.
However, if you’re considering converting your basement for personal use, you’ll have even more benefits.
- If you’re a senior who can’t run a large house anymore, you could live in the second suite and rent out the remaining space in your home.
- You might have kids who want some independence. If so, they can live in the basement, look after themselves, and have an entrance of their own. But, they’re still under your watchful eye and won’t have to pay high rents for an apartment until they’re ready.
- Maybe you have elderly in-laws or parents. Seniors like to be independent as much as anyone. So they can live in the apartment rent-free and look after themselves. At the same time, you won’t be too far away, should they need assistance.
- Finally, you and your family can have the extra space you always wanted without moving house. Use it as a games room, hobby room, home cinema, office or an extra bedroom. The choice is yours.
Your investment won’t only help you, it’ll help others too. If you end up renting the suite, it could be the beginning of a personal real estate portfolio. Don’t you owe it to your community, family and yourself? If so, reach out to us today for a no-obligation initial estimate.
Why choose Penguin Basements?
Penguin Basements use only the best construction materials and approved methods for improving your basement. Our construction standards meet or exceed all current provincial and municipal building codes. We also have a code of conduct, which is over and above what is legally required.
We are a member of the Canadian Home Builders’ Association and comply with their code of ethics. Furthermore, we provide a written contract detailing all the jobs involved in your basement renovation. We also hold all legally required insurances, licenses and permits necessary to renovate your basement.
Probably, you’ll also notice a difference in our team’s professionalism and the way we work on-site compared with some other contractors. From the start, you’ll be allocated a project manager who will be your point of contact throughout the contract. Our workforce is fully trained or is undergoing supervised relevant training. Above all, we regard employee and client safety as paramount in everything we do. We maintain a safe and organized workplace at all times.
If you eventually decide you want to rent out your additional living space, we at Penguin Basements can help with that too.
Contact our team at Penguin Basements for information, and we will get back to you within two working days. We will then meet up so that you can share your plans with us. And together, we’ll find a practical and legal solution.
Implement your plans
It doesn’t matter what plans you have in mind for your basement. Whether it’s for personal use or a legal rental, Penguin Basements will help you make your dreams come true. We will help with everything you need to turn your damp basement full of cobwebs into a dry, warm and inviting living space for you and your family.
If you live in the Brampton area, Peel Region, or anywhere in the Greater Toronto area, call us today on 416-633-7180. Or you can complete the FREE ESTIMATE form on this page. We will then get in touch to arrange a meeting and an initial visit to see your existing basement.