Effective Date: January 1, 2018
For the purposes of this Statement “personal information” means information that is personally identifiable to individuals. “Non-identifiable information” means information that cannot be associated with or traced back to specific individuals with any certainty.
- How and when Penguin Basements collects personal information: Penguin Basements collects personal information from individuals on a voluntary basis through quotation and lead forms, showcase open houses, surveys, contest entry forms, registration forms, questionnaires and transaction documents both online and offline. The personal information includes contact information (for example, name, mailing address, e-mail address, telephone number) and may contain demographic information, household information, preference information and transaction-related information.
- Use of personal information by Penguin Basements: Penguin Basements uses personal information that it collects for the following:
- To communicate with individuals.
- To understand individual needs.
- To promote and offer products, services and special offers that meet individual needs or that might be of interest to individuals based on information provided and approved by Penguin Basements.
- To provide individuals with products or services that are requested or that is part of Penguin Basements’ ongoing service with its customers.
- To conduct, process and complete transactions with Penguin Basements’ customers and suppliers. The information also enables us to develop and customize our products and services to better meet the needs and preferences of our customers and suppliers. Penguin Basements may, from time to time, contact individuals by electronic format, regular mail or telephone for any of the purposes set out above.
- Disclosure of personal information by Penguin Basements: Penguin Basements does not sell, rent or trade personal information that it collects. Penguin Basements will not knowingly disclose personal information to any third parties except in the following circumstances:
- When Penguin Basements has received consent to do so or under limited circumstances specifically described at such time as personal information is collected;
- When Penguin Basements, in good faith, believes the law permits or requires such disclosure;
- To affiliated and associated companies working with Penguin Basements and only for the purposes described in paragraph 2 above. These affiliated and associated companies and their respective employees are restricted from using the personal information for any other purpose other than as described in paragraph 2 above.
- To its agents, professional advisors, promotional and marketing agencies, and to any other Third Parties in order to complete transactions, to process data and to service customers. These Third Parties and their respective employees are only provided with such personal information as is necessary to perform the services for which they have been contracted and are restricted from using the personal information for any other purpose other than as described in paragraph 2 above. In the event of the sale of Penguin Basements, personal information may be one of the transferred business assets.
- Retention of personal information by Penguin Basements: At such time as personal information is no longer required for the purposes stated in this Privacy Statement or other statutory requirements, such personal information will be made anonymous or destroyed.
- The collection, use and disclosure of non-identifiable information: Penguin Basements collects and uses Non-identifiable information to assess the effectiveness of website content and traffic. This allows Penguin Basements to improve the quality of visits to websites managed by it by streamlining visitors’ ability to navigate these sites and developing featured programs and content that will be of interest to visitors. Aggregate non-identifiable information is used to perform statistical analyses of the collective characteristics and behavior of individuals, and to measure demographics and interests.
- Websites operated by third parties: Web sites and social media platforms (Facebook, twitter, etc.) operated by Penguin Basements may contain links to other websites that may collect personal information. This Statement does not extend to the data collection, disclosure, use and retention practices of such third parties and Penguin Basements does not assume any responsibility for the privacy practices, policies or actions of such third parties. Individuals should read the privacy policies of such third parties, and make an informed decision whether or not to visit such websites and/or provide personal information to such third parties based upon their privacy practices and individual discretion.
- Safeguarding personal information: Penguin Basements has taken measure to protect the security and confidentiality of personal information as are appropriate in the circumstances. Personal information is stored in confidential cloud-based databases provided by Third Party operations and administered by Penguin Basements. These sites have appropriate security measures in place to protect against the loss, misuse, and alteration of personal information under the care and control of Penguin Basements. Any information transmitted via the internet, however, may be intercepted by third parties. Penguin Basements does not assume any liability for interception, alteration or misuse of information transmitted over the internet. Penguin Basements employees are restricted from using and disclosing personal information collected by Penguin Basements other than in accordance with this Statement.
- Accessing personal information: Individuals have the right to access, verify and correct or amend all of their personal information collected by Penguin Basements. Penguin Basements believes that it is imperative that personal information is as accurate, complete and up to date as is necessary for the purposes for which it is collected. Accordingly, to help Penguin Basements keep personal information as current as possible, Penguin Basements encourages individuals to amend inaccuracies and make corrections in their personal information collected by Penguin Basements as often as necessary. To access, verify and correct or amend personal information, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- How to File a Complaint: To file a complaint with Penguin Basements concerning the collection, use and/or disclosure of personal information, please send an email to email@example.com. All complaints will be investigated by Penguin Basements as soon as is practical in the circumstances. Individuals will be notified of the outcome of the investigation of complaints clearly and promptly and will be notified of any relevant steps taken or to be taken as a result of a complaint.
- The choice to provide personal information or to receive certain information and promotional materials: Individuals always have the choice whether or not they wish to supply Penguin Basements with personal information. Individuals wishing to “opt-out” of receiving certain informational and promotional materials from Penguin Basements or who otherwise object to the collection, use and disclosure policies as provided under this Privacy Statement, are asked to contact the Privacy Officer at Penguin Basements by email at firstname.lastname@example.org. Opt-out opportunities are also provided in other circumstances such as in certain promotional mailings. Individuals are reminded that the decision to withhold personal information or to object to the use and/or disclosure of personal information as provided in this Privacy Statement or in any agreement between such individuals and Penguin Basements, may, in certain instances, limit their ability to access or take advantage of certain promotions and features. Your personal information is obtained and used only with your consent that may be expressed or implied depending on the circumstance.