WELCOME TO PENGUIN BASEMENTS – HAMILTON
If you live in the Hamilton or Brantford area and are considering a basement renovation, you are making a wise choice. A basement is the only raw material you need to make a sound investment by increasing your living space.
We at Penguin Basements are a specialist local construction company. Our team members are experts in basement finishing and can give you the extra living space you desire. Eventually, this might also increase the value of your home if you decide to sell it later on in life.
Why choose a finished basement?
If you don’t do something useful with your basement, you’re wasting a valuable resource. You can use it as a personal space for any purpose you can think of. But finish your basement to the correct standard, and you’ll have a second suite, also known as a second unit, granny flat, the list of name is endless. Now, if you use your investment wisely and rent out the second unit in line with Ontario’s guidelines, you will have a legal rental, guaranteed to bring in extra income for you and your family.
Our team at Penguin Basements has the know-how and experience to turn your damp and mouldy cellar into a warm and comfortable living space for you or as a rental. Call us now to have a chat about your options. Once you’ve contacted us, have a look at the Government of Ontario’s information sheet to read all about second suites. Then you’ll be well prepared to talk about your choice and the benefits you can reap.
Apart from giving you an extra income, which is a worthwhile end in itself, you’ll be doing your duty as a citizen. Besides, there are plenty of second suite benefits if you decide to use it as a rental.
- Second suites increase the supply of affordable housing available to people of all income brackets. There are many prospective tenants out there just waiting to move in, so your suite won’t be empty for long.
- You will help improve the economy of your area by attracting additional workforce to local businesses and labour markets.
- The second suite rent will subsidize your income or replace the income of someone in your family who has to give up work.
- Improve the existing housing infrastructure rather than move to a different area. And the extra income you receive from the rental can be used to fund more renovations.
- You will receive a 100% offset for income received from a legal second suite. All you need to do is ensure you live in the property as an owner-occupier.
Should my finished basement be for personal use?
This is always a difficult question and you must consider it before discussing your situation with us. And don’t forget to tell us if you’re on a budget – we might be able to help with financing too. Perhaps some of these questions and statements will help you come up with ideas relevant to your situation.
- Should I use my basement unit as extra accommodation for my growing family?
- Should we all use it as a family room, hobby space, or music room?
- I have older children who need some space and want to try coping on their own (rent-free, of course!) while still being under my protective eye.
- We have elderly parents who want to stay independent as long as possible yet need someone nearby in case of emergencies.
- When I get older and find my home is too large for me, I can move into the basement and rent the house to a larger family.
If it hasn’t already occurred to you, you can do all these at different stages in your life. Depending on your circumstances any one of these options will assist you, your family and your community. So meet with someone from our team and discuss your dreams. It is not a problem, we will always give you a no-obligation estimate.
Why use Penguin Basements?
Firstly, we are experts and know what we are doing. We have a tried and tested procedure – from the first contact to the finished job – to make sure we overcome every obstacle and solve every issue to give you the living space you desire.
You will have a project manager allocated to you, who will guide you through each stage of the process and help with difficult decisions. At each main point in the design sequence, we will talk to you and ensure you are happy with everything. Eventually, we will have the finished design. At this stage, we will walk you through your second suite’s final design using a virtual 3D tour. Once it’s approved, we can move forward with the physical improvements in your basement.
We can change just about any basement into a warm and cosy apartment by using our team’s skills and experience. We hold all the necessary licenses and permits. And our work complies with all the municipal building codes. There is no need for you to worry about any legal problems associated with your second suite, because our project manager will be your agent when dealing with municipal planning and building departments.
We at Penguin Basements take our responsibilities as a local contractor very seriously. Not only do we try to give you exactly what you asked for, but we also go one stage further – we are a member of trade associations dedicated to improving the relationship between us as a contractor and our customers.
- The Canadian Home Builder’s Association is one of such organizations. It has a code of ethics designed to improve the Canadian construction industry in general.
- Penguin Basements is also a RenoMark™ contractor. This organization lists reputable companies that provide excellent service to their customers.
- Finally, our company won the Consumer’s Choice Award for 2017, 2018 and 2019.
What do I do next?
Simple, call us for a chat on 1-866-262-8298. Or if you’d rather write, complete the FREE ESTIMATE FORM on this page. We will get in touch with you and arrange to meet. You can then discuss your ideas with one of our professionals while we examine your basement.